Craigmillar Castle







Hands down...without a doubt...Craigmillar Castle was my favorite place I visited this entire trip. I love that it provides such a contrast for every other castle that one would like to visit in Scotland because how they have chosen to preserve it. It's really easy to get to from Pollock Halls via the city bus, and there is a brief walk through a park to the top. You walk into the visitors center/guest shop and pay a 5 pound fee to gain access to the castle. The best part is that you kind of get to roam freely. There are small plaques in each room explaining the use, and maybe a total of 3 larger information stations explaining the history of the castle, but aside from that, interpretations are pretty much up to your imagination. There are no actors, no vending machines, and very few people there in general. Some of the rooms can even be a little creepy because you have to walk through a series of doors to get to them and it's not very well lit. I found that I was making up stories in my head whilst exploring. My favorite thing to think about is the huge, elaborate parties they would have in the Hall, for nearly every meal. 50+ people drinking, eating, and having a good time...sounds like my kind of dining experience! The surrounding land is beautiful and serene, and you are able to walk around the entire perimeter of the castle. Everyone who visits Scotland should be required to visit Craigmillar.

No comments:

Post a Comment